Wednesday, June 3, 2009

SPEEDO problems



Thought I'd better post some guys in nylon Speedo / speedo-like suits before you thought this was a green silkies only blog--there could be worse things!

As most of you know, Speedos (which eventually came to mean 100% nylon--with solid, panels, or striped suits 50% nylon and 50% polyester) began in Australia I think in the 1950's.  I think nylon Ocean Champion, Adolph Kiefer, and others suits were also around in the USA
back then.  Nylon was invented by duPont in 1938, was suspended for war use only, and came back big time in the 40's until 1976.  The mid-70's was when someone decided cotton should line panty crotches and some other idiot thought they should mix lycra in with nylon in Speedo suits.  I guess there are some people who think Speedo nylon suits are still nylon with lycra added--BIG WRONG!  Somehow just adding 10-12-20% lycra to the nylon makes them way less silky, they hang and move funny, don't rub anymore, and they deteriorate and get funky / stretchy quickly.  The fact that they didn't last as long was probably considered an advantage by Speedo since swimmers would have to buy more.  They were used in the 1976 Olympics and that launched them into general use.  Guys who are only into the "bulge factor" of a Speedo wouldn't care if they were all nylon or partly lycra.  I don't have anything against a bulging Speedo, but I want it to be 100% nylon so end of that discussion.

As lycra mixed Speedos began to overtake the nylon (possibly because Speedo pushed the lycra ones more), the nylon ones changed more into 2 layered suits.  These were sold as water polo suits and even "Master's Swim Suits"--meaning for older guys.  They were still nylon, but the drape on the now double layer ass wasn't so great, but unlike Ocean Champion suits with the inner nylon liner that slid under the outer suit, the double thickness Speedo served no real purpose.  The nylon suits that continued to be made became more "industrial", less silky, and not so sexy.  At this time fashion dictates were lowering the length of shorts, lycra "Jammers" were replacing Speedos, and things weren't looking too good.  About the only sexy thing (at least for me) was that in the 80's guys started wearing 2 and 3 nylon suits at the same time.  The excuse was to create more drag in the water, but the reality 3 suits showed less bulge which was now not cool to show.  Watching a guy slip into one of the older Speedo suits, and then slip into another one and then maybe even one more was always hot for me.  Since I'll use 2 or 3 nylon Speedos inside each other to j/o, I guess there was some connection for me there.

About the only bright spot lately have been the Aussiebums.  They are modeled after the old Speedos with a single back and a panel in the front.  The nylon is a little heavier, but still pretty good and they are able to be used for j/o and somewhat compatible with the vintage Speedos.  I really like the outside label that sticks out from the suit.  In case there is any doubt, you can always look for that label and know it is a 100% nylon Aussiebum.  They have now branched out into small shorts, all sorts of cotton briefs, and other types of swimsuits.  I suppose it would be too much to ask they would ever venture into nylon underwear, too.  So it's nice to see a new generation who is wearing them--especially when the bulk of all Speedo-style suits are still lycra blends.

Here is a selection of nylon suits:  a classic blue nylon speedo sheer enough that you can see the inner panel, a montage of an Aussiebum--the main problem is that they probably couldn't hold a full hard on since they are so low cut.  They would be difficult to jerk a guy off into them.  I guess I want it all!  The lifeguards who are all bent over in the same blue suits might be wearing lycra, but it reminds me of how recently Australians and New Zealand (even Florida) lifeguard teams were still wearing nylon suits in beach competitions.  I would have a REALLY clean car if I ever saw the UCLA water polo team having a car wash.  I could even put up with a few of them wearing lycra.  Most now wear Truwest suits but they are usually nylon and some are pretty good.  Here are some high school kids with multiple nylon suits and finally a water polo team with every single guy with a 100% nylon Speedo.  I wonder how long it would take me to pump a load into every one of those suits?  I probably wouldn't  do more than 2 at a time--usually a solid one under a panel or those super silky narrow stripe suits.  I don't want to even think where those suits wound up over the past 40 years.  I'm sure glad "rescued" as many of them as I did.  It's amazing how good they feel to this day.  Hmmmm, maybe in the next few minutes?







1 comment:

Anonymous said...

no problem to me I like em all